The Browser War on 3 Fronts

Originally published at: menino.com - Miguel's website

Three graphs to demonstrate that competition is healthy in the browser space, especially on these three sites.

These are numbers based on visitors to these websites yesterday — Saturday, December 18th, 2010.

First, HTMF — hackingthemainframe.com is a site that I help run. It’s the most popular web forum in Northwest BC.

• First, 1700 visitors is unusual. The average is around 1100 unique visitors a day. Judging by the New Visitors and Bounce Rate numbers, the extra visitors aren’t regulars.
  • Internet Explorer is the most popular browser used by visitors — 41%. But it’s not the 80% or 90% that it used to be.
  • Firefox is at 30%
  • Safari and Chrome and the others make up the remaining 29% or so.

Next, themainframe.ca, which is a companion site to HTMF. It’s a WordPress blog, with articles and posts that don’t really fit in the forum format. One of these days, I’ll turn that site into the “best of HTMF.”

• 400 visitors is a little above normal. But perhaps it’s Saturday night websurfing 🙂
  • The average visitor to this site finds it through Google, and doesn’t spend much time on there. There aren’t many regulars, but rather people looking for specific information found in the articles on the site.
  • Internet Explorer is just barely in the lead here, with 34% over Firefox’s 32%.
  • There were more Chrome visitors than Safari visitors.

Finally, my little soccer video site, owngoal.ca. This is a WordPress site I created just to post soccer videos I found interesting. I keep trying to get my brother to post stuff on there, but so far no luck 🙂

• 500 visitors is about average for a Saturday, since I tend to post videos from weekend La Liga matches
  • Firefox is the most popular browser on this site — 34%
  • Safari comes in a close second, 29%
  • Even Chrome has more traffic (18%) than Internet Explorer (14%) on this site.

I think it’s safe to say that the browser war is still active! There’s healthy competition, and that’s definitely a good thing.

I find it interesting that 3 different audiences also have significantly different tastes in browsers.